Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Capture Streaming Media
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:42 pm 

In response to a question about recording the Live Eagle Cam, here is a link to many of the programs available. WMRecorder is my personal preference simply because its the one I'm familar with. If you use another and would like to share your comments please share them here.

http://all-streaming-media.com/

This link offers a review of a few of the various programs available to help you make your choice.
http://all-streaming-media.com/faq/reco ... orders.htm

Product comparison link
http://all-streaming-media.com/record-v ... ftware.htm

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 am 

I have been using RealPlayer Dowload & Recording manager (it adds a convenient "download this video" tab above the eagle cam video window) but I have to say I don't like it. It take about 10 to 20 seconds to begin recording (sometime the eaglets do something real cute quicker than that!) and about 10 to 20% of my recordings are "flipped" (top-to-bottom) and have this green hue. The same thing happens when playing the bad recordings after reboot, so it is a problem with the recording, not the playback. This is the recorder that came with realplayer version 11.1, running under winXP.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:41 pm 

March 2011 update, Realplayer does not work with the new website, which now uses an adobe stream.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am 

chris_h wrote:
March 2011 update, Realplayer does not work with the new website, which now uses an adobe stream.

You're right Chris...and thanks for the reminder. With the new streaming format the only program I can use (that I already have) is Capture Wiz Pro.

I'd appreciate knowing what others use..and your opinions on the pros and cons?

Ann

For the animals shall not be measured by man ~ They are not our brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth ~ Henry Beston

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm 

unless I set up the tripod & use a *real* movie camera, it ain't happenin' this year . . . I have no program that works on their cam site this year :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:02 pm 

annsva wrote:
chris_h wrote:

You're right Chris...and thanks for the reminder. With the new streaming format the only program I can use (that I already have) is Capture Wiz Pro.

I'd appreciate knowing what others use..and your opinions on the pros and cons?

Ann

I have been using BB FlashBack (free version) for about a week. At first I thought it would be nice because it can capture just a portion of the desktop. But, as you can see from my ~ "great escape 3.22.11" video on youtube, there is the potential for "screen polution." If you look carefully at that video, you can see parts where I had another application on my desktop which "poluted" the eagles video. So what I originally thought would be a nice feature, actually is kind of a disadvantage. Also, the free version of BBF can not convert to a format that my two media players can view (but it does support multiple flavors/codecs of AVI, none of which my players can view). You have to pay them $80 for the version that can export to WMV. Not worth it from my experience detailed above.

Ann, can you please tell me if Capture Wiz Pro (CWP) can capture a stream, as opposed to just an area of the desktop. In other words, if another application is opened on top of the eagle cam window, will that show in the capture? I looked at the demo on their website, but the answer was not clear to me. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:25 pm 

chris_h wrote:
Ann, can you please tell me if Capture Wiz Pro (CWP) can capture a stream, as opposed to just an area of the desktop. In other words, if another application is opened on top of the eagle cam window, will that show in the capture? I looked at the demo on their website, but the answer was not clear to me. Thanks in advance.

That is a disadvantage with CWP, too...it is a screen capture program so anything on your screen that pops up in front of your designated area will also show up in the capture. :(