Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extenders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:55 am 

After meeting Duane and seeing some of his posts using stacked extenders, I have a question: I have several excellent camera setups (bodies such as Canon 5D etc - most of my work right now is much closer than the eagles, so I have invested primarily in top of the line midrange size lenses that do a spectacular job for what I need), and some decent telephoto lenses, like the Canon 70-200 mm 2.8 IS L series. I have the Canon 2x extender that is intended for use with the 200 lens, and it works great, everything is still automated as it is supposed to, so I have a decent, albeit makeshift, 400 mm for right now. I also have some Tamrons, including an 800 CAT and assorted other lower quality lenses, but they really do not do justice to wildlife subjects. For now, unfortunately, I do not have as many opportunities as I would like to go out and buy a new big gun lens (eventually I will, and it will be worth spending the money), but would like to have a bit more power for when the situation does arise.

So my question is: given the Canon 2X I already have,what would be a good option for another stackable extender until I am ready for a bigger lens?

Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Extenders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:19 pm 

The old saying is more glass more distortion. Sometime true sometimes not. Are you talking about extenders on your 70-200 -2.8? If so extenders on zooms are even worst. I use to use a 1.4x on my 100-400, it did ok on cles shots. I too have the new 70-200 2.8 but have not been able to use it yet. My own opion is extenders on fixed but you don't have any thing to lose. Joe at the gardns uses a the smaller extender on his 70-200 2.8 and does not like it. Just my opion. Try all options you can think of. :D
You must keep in mind Duane is using a "fixed" lens and not a zoom.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:33 pm 

mike wrote:
The old saying is more glass more distortion. Sometime true sometimes not. Are you talking about extenders on your 70-200 -2.8? If so extenders on zooms are even worst. I use to use a 1.4x on my 100-400, it did ok on cles shots. I too have the new 70-200 2.8 but have not been able to use it yet. My own opion is extenders on fixed but you don't have any thing to lose. Joe at the gardns uses a the smaller extender on his 70-200 2.8 and does not like it. Just my opion. Try all options you can think of. :D
You must keep in mind Duane is using a "fixed" lens and not a zoom.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I have been using it on the zoom, and I know they are a lot better on fixed lenses, but I have been pretty pleased so far, realizing that it is far from a perfect situation, and not pushing it (not even trying to fill the frame with an eye like Duane has been trying to do LOL). Am just trying to temporize until I can justify buying something like Duane's 500.
Sounds like I should just stick with what I have until I do invest in a big prime lens.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:51 pm 

I believe you'll be happy not pushing it. I do use two extenders on my 500 . A 1.4 and a 2x and Im happy a good percentage of the time

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:58 pm 

Extenders are the last resort....if anything I'd consider the 300mm f/2.8 and the 2X if you're looking for a bit more focal length but not carry around a cinder block.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:43 pm 

Thanks guys - good advice.