Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles

NESTI (Norfolk Eagle Support Team International)
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thursday, March 1, 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:37 am 
Site Admin

1st Day of Meteorological Spring

Temp: 67 degrees

Today:
Mostly cloudy in the morning, then clear. High of 77F. Winds from the WSW at 10-20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Tonight:
Clear. Low of 46F. Winds from the WNW at 5-15 mph shifting to the NE after midnight.
Civil Twilight: 6:09 AM EST 6:25 PM EST

03:30 Got up to check the cam and my weather and disappointed by both.....DT still perched on the love branch, head tucked under her wings....here, freezing rain on top of the 4 inches of snow yesterday then turning back to snow again. Geesh
05:11 Nest empty...dad hasn't arrived yet and DT is still on the love branch, awake
05:24 DT awake and stretching, the nest tree swaying in the wind
05:29 Preening around the brood patch area
05:45 DT looking around stretching toward the back then facing the left again. Dad flies in from the front, checks out the nest bowl area then settles facing the left
06:02 Dad up, turns toward the left and snuggles back down pulling on nest material in front of him
06:06 Dad rises and walks to the base of the love branch and fly hops up, this time on DT's left side. They vocalize, the mate and dad hops down on the branch on her right side. He's trying different things to get an egg going cause usually he mounts from the right side then he started moving to the branch in front of her and now this....hmmmmm...sure wish something would work
06:08 Zoomer moves in closer
06:09 DT flies off, dad drops back down into the nest. Zoomer follows dad
06:10 Dad, after waiting a minute, moves toward the left side still looking around. He steps up on the nest rim, hops on the branch, looks more the dives forward
06:15 Night cam turned off
06:29 Dad returns with a stick, places it on the right side. After a few seconds, he moves to the back rim, looks out and waits
06:31 He flies off in the direction of the lumber yard
06:36 Dad returns to the nest this time with fresh, brown pine needles. :lol: He picks up some and moves toward the front

Video clip of dad and pine needles ... just click

06:37 Dad walks to the back. Darn cam timed out and I had just refreshed about 5 minutes ago...not cool. Dad still standing at the back
06:40 Dad flies off again toward the lumber yard
06:42 White flash in the background, seconds later dad returns with yet another stick, placing this one on the left side. He walks toward the front, hops on the branch just on the left side and poof, he's gone
06:45 Zoomer pulls the cam back a little. The fresh pine needles really standing out
9:00 Still no eagle visit since dad's last trip in with a stick...the nest looks sooooo lonely :cry:
11:00 Eagles still staying away. Maybe coming in sometime around noon...we'll just have to wait and see
13:15 The eagles still haven returned to the nest
15:27 Dad lands on the nest coming in from the front with a fish in right talon. DT immediately follows dad to the nest. Dad backing up as she lands on the nest. They must be bonded really good now because she isn't mantling at all even when dad move closer to her and the fish. Can't tell they are both grabbing bites from the fish or dad is cleaning the nest bowl while she eats
15:28 Dad moves the left side of the nest and flies off...DT still eating
15:29 Zoomer moves in a little closer
15:30 Stupid ad. When cam starts again, Zoomer has moved in closer on DT getting a cleaner shot of her eating
15:33 She's done eating the fish and begins a little cleanup
15:34 After a short break, DT walks to the back of the nest she hangs out again. Zoomer pulls the cam back and seconds later she flies

Video clip of their visit ... coming shortly

16:11 Zoomer takes us on a tour looking for the eagles. We take a stop and focus on the photogs for a shot time then back at the nest at 16:15

Video clip of tour and photos ... just click

16:28 Dad flies bat the nest followed by DT seconds later. Zoomer moves in closer. DT eating more fish. Dad leave quickly after picking up pine needles and probably piece of fish
16:31 STUPID ADS AGAIN RUINING THE SHOT. I HATE THOSE ADS

Video clip of last food episode ... just click

16:32 Cam freezing a bit as DT moves to the back checking out the nest wall. She then hops out on the love branch. Zoomer moves in closer. DT cleaning her beak on the branch
16:33 She puffs up her feathers and shakes a little
16:34 DT moves further out on the love branch. Zoomer still in too close, her head is cut off. There he goes, panning up a little and pulling the cam back a hair. Will have another video clip when this is

Video clip if garden tour & photogs ... just click

16:39 She puffs up again and does another shake and fluff
16:40 Zoomer moves in closer. DT panting, she's hot. The sun's glare on the cam housing glass is putting a yellowish haze on the cam screen taking away some of the awesomeness of the cam closeups that that will change as the days get longer and the sun is higher in the sky
16:47 Pretty decent closeups of DT, the 2nd one shows her nictitating membrane
16:55 Love the way the eagles show their personality. The next two clips show us some of that personality
17:14 Had a phone call and cam shut down for a while. When I restarted the cam, DT still on the love branch and dad perched on the branch behind the nest
17:15 Dad flies to the love branch and both eagle have a conversation
17:16 Zoomer moves in closer as both eagles are still vocalizing and then finally settle down facing the left
17:18 Dad flies off. DT watches where he goes. Zoomer pulls the cam way back
17:19 DT dives forward following the direction dad took. Zoomer pans looking for them but they're out of cam view
17:44 Cam shut down again while fixing supper, back up again 17:50 Not sure if the eagles returned or not
18:20 Night cam turned on
18:28 Dad returns landing on the left side branch...no sign of DT. Seconds later he moves into the nest waiting for DT
18:29 Zoomer moves in closer and a minute later IR light turned on
18:32 Dad walks to the nest center then to the back and flies out on the love branch
18:38 Dad hops to the left side branch the flies off
19:30 Baby squirrel or possible red squirrel in the nest and on the branches..since it's so dark only used a small section for video clip

Video clip ... just click
20:30 Still now sign of DT....hmmmm...what's up with that?
22:30 No eagles tonite. It's doesn't look like DT will lay an egg this season but it's her first breeding season so we knew that was a possibility. Not giving up hope yet....but not much time left. No eagles, so I'm heading out for the night. Have a good one ... see you tomorow

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:34 pm 

Have the eagles been in the nest or nest tree this morning? Has anyone from the ground seen them today? Thanks for any information. I can't get the moderated discussion at work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:05 pm 

I was there most of the morning and I saw both adults flying high over the gardens twice (got video of them soaring)...today was a nice/windy day and i didn't expect them to hang around the nest much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 pm 

Thank you. I am so used to seeing them in the nest during this time of the year. I am glad that you all are having a beautiful day. It is wonderful outside here in Arkansas as well. Or, at least that is what I hear. I am INSIDE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 pm 

About 19:30 small animal in nest - rt side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 pm 

Me thinks a Chimpmunk - looks too small for a squirrel

IMO

;)

Enjoy each day, we don't know what tomorrow holds for us

I have purpose, photography and nature are in my blood now....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:55 pm 

I never give up hope.
We are used to Mom NOrfolk but with this one so young, she may take longer and may only lay one. And she has had to defend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 am 

I keep watching and I am pretty sure that I see the tail of eagle way out on branch,
Will try and get picture. when wind blows , you can see it. If wind was not blowing you would not